Saturday, August 1, 2009

My "Special Pasta Sauce" for those surplus tomatoes

I love being able to eat good food that was prepared last summer- I am expecting a huge crop of tomatoes this summer, too!




8 Quarts Tomatoes from the Garden

Dip each tomato in boiling water for 15 seconds to blister skin.
Transfer each to a bowl of iced water.
The tomato skins will slip tight off.
Remove core.
Grind tomatoes together with:
2 green peppers, w/o seeds and stems
4 large onions
4 cloves of garlic
Put all this in a large stockpot.
Bring to a slow boil.
Simmer for 1 hour.
Add: 1 c. oil
1/4 c. canning salt
1/2 T oregano
24 oz. tomato paste
1 and 1/2 T. basil
1 T. parsley
3/4 c. sugar
2 bay leaves
Continue to simmer for another hour.
Remove bay leaves.
Fill 6 quarts or 12 pints.
Wipe tops.
Secure with seals and rings.
Process in water bath canner for 20 minutes.
Remove from canner and tighten rings.
Cool and store.

"But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ" - Philippians 3:7-8 (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment