Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Purposeful Mothering

Here is a recent photos of an Indian Village we visited in Virginia. 
We found the tour fascinating... the native Americans were so resourceful!

As we fly through the summer months, I can't help but reflect on the growth of both my son and myself throughout the last year. I laugh when I think back on the challenging days (mothering a little "Popcorn" is NOT easy, not because my son was "antsy," but because I was worried that I might not be doing this whole nurturing and admonition thing right).

Today I am specifically remembering the first time I had to take him to a swimming lesson, watching him joyfully splash around, diving under when the slightlly frustrated swim teacher wanted him to just be still, and hold on to the side of the pool. My experience WAS painful (embarrassing?), in a funny kind of way. I opted to smile, and laugh instead of my usual Type A reaction, which is to worry, fret, and get onto him as to "Why" he couldn't be still. He is "Mr. Popcorn", after all!


It has been a long, life-changing year. I’m amazed at the similarities between my boy and me —he was new to so many experiences, and I was new also (like Harding Academy... kindergarden). At first, neither of us had a inkling as to what we were doing.  Those little notes from Mrs. Wells saying he "made noises, made faces, prayed too publically, needed to tone it down a notch", etc.,  seemed to cut me to the heart, but somehow Blaine and I have both stretched and grown to love & understand each other even more (and perhaps even the world around us).


Since I’ve had some time to reflect, I now have an idea of what kinds of things I want to accomplish in the future as Blaine's mom. Recently I was inspired to write down my goals as both a reminder to myself when parenting gets tough, and as a personal declaration.

I believe that mothering isn’t just a manual task, making sure another person stays alive (although with  Popcorn, that is an issue!).   It’s also the shaping of a life. In some ways, there is very little I can do to control how my child turns out—only God can change hearts and save souls. But I want to do all that I can to give him not just life, but LIFE.

Let me encourage you, reader, to do the same.



Here are some of my goals as Blaine's mother:

1. It is my deepest desire to make sure that Blaine knows God, and knows there is a Savior. I believe it is my job to point him to Jesus every day. I love what Deuteronomy 6:6-12 tells us to do, when sitting and lying down and walking...to pass on the history of our God’s power and redemption to the next generation so they may not forget all that He’s done for us.
We are accomplishing this by daily bible reading, talking about spiritual things casually, and a formal scripture memory program. We quote and practice memorizing scriptures everywhere... in the pool, in the car, at the grocery store, just where ever! The Living Word of God is seeping deeply into Blaine's heart and soul...Glory to God!

2. It is very important to me to give my son essential life skills. Blaine has already learned how to set up and nurture a vegetable and flower garden, care for Hershey (our dog), and is learning how to better care for himself. Another skill is practiced daily: to know how to care for a home—including washing dishes, preparing a meal, sweeping the floor, folding clothes, and tidying up around Blueberry Cottage. Blaine is slowly learning how to organize, handle a personal $ budget, and care for his belongings properly. Sometimes things get pretty messy around the house, but I think, "Who Cares?"   It really only takes about 10 to 15 minutes to clean up the big messes, but OH, how VALUABLE the lessons will be which last a lifetime!

3. Mike & I very much want to instill Godly Character, values, and disciplines in Blaine's life—loving others, compassion, generosity, kindness, joy, controlling his temper, & problem-solving skills
(1 Thessalonians 5:6-11 and Galatians 5:22-23).

4. Seeing things from others’ perspectives is another skill I am striving to teach. Understanding others is so important in being able to serve God effectively, in my opinion.

5. Here is a tough one: Listening! I am striving to teach a "Popcorner" how to stop hopping, and be still enough to listen, REALLY listen to what others are saying. It is essential for a follower of Jesus to master this skill, and, boy, are we having a go at it. {Hints, tips, and suggestions are really desired, for the readers who have positive experience with this}.

6. Confidence and Courage are things that do not come easily to me, but I truly want Blaine to be able to stand for Right, and for Good, even in the face of strong opposition, even if it means that he is the only one to stand when no one else does so.

So this is my guide, my direction for the 7th year of our precious son's upbringing. I know I have left some important skills out, and this list will probably grow, continuing to change as Blaine does. And when the storms arise, I will be able to pray over these things, and stay on course, anchoring in my only Hope, my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who always provides a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment