Saturday, April 16, 2011

Along the Garden Path


From nozzles and shears to watering cans, I can't resist any vintage item of a gardener's life!  I collect not only good old garden accoutrements-- I use them, too.  My Garden is for the children, and also for my future grandchildren, I hope.  I think that the earlier one learns to garden, the more pleasure one gleans from life!

My garden has a definite whimsical side.  There are intricate folk art birdhouses tucked here and there, and rabbit figurines, along with frog statues.  When he was little, I taught my son to plant seedlings and prepare the soil.  Now he knows how important it is not to step on the little sprouts striving to live.

This year I plan to start a "TeePee of Peas" with Bamboo rods for children-hiding from the sun, or playing in with family, or friends during play dates.  The children get such pleasure from picking the peas and tomatoes, and tasting them.  The highpoint of any visit in the garden is when I distribute the garden scissors and invite the little ones to cut their own flowers, and then arrange them in vases on the covered porch.  I don't worry that the blooms will be depleted, because cutting my flowers only causes more to bloom!

No comments:

Post a Comment